Sunday, August 3, 2008

A small miracle (30 weeks, 2 days)

Anyone who knows anything about George knows that sleep is not something that comes naturally to our little boy. Our first year with him was a groggy blur of nights broken up to 6-8 times with his wakings. I propped my sagging eyelids long enough to read every infant sleep book written since the 19th century, to no avail. George was not to be manipulated by such techniques; he was going to do what he was going to do and we were going to have to fall in line. We often had to walk the floor and pat and shush him for up to 2 hours to get him to fall asleep, only to have him wake after a mere 45 minutes of sleep. I remember crying a lot.

When he was 12 months, he slept through the night for the first time (I was a few weeks pregnant with Helen at the time, another reason that her middle name is Faith as it took a big leap to go for #2 with #1 sleeping the way he did!). We were thrilled and hoped it marked a turning point, which is sort of did. He would sleep through the night here and there but never consistently, and he was easier to put to sleep than before but would still sometimes fight it.

Keep all of that in mind when I tell you that for the last week, for no apparent reason except that he just decided he wanted to do so, he has slept through the night every single night, and he has fallen asleep all by himself at bedtime and naps about half of the time (!!!!!!). God is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww - that's so sweet. It's like he knows that mommy needs to sleep. Yes, God is very good. :)

love
Ginger

Unknown said...

Sweet, Einie. :) :)

Scott Abbey Harrison and Henry said...

Praise the Lord! I'm so glad and I will be praying that it continues so you can get the rest you need.