Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Statistics (30 weeks, 5 days)

When I was first admitted to the hospital, I was given a fetal fibronectin test which gives a probability of delivering in the two weeks following the test. Mine came out negative, thankfully, which meant I had a 99% change of not having the baby in the next two weeks.

That window expired yesterday.

I now realize that I had put a lot of faith in that result- contractions which yesterday I could dismiss as "probably nothing" I now lack the statistical evidence to disregard so easily (remember, people, I have a minor in statistics in my PhD, I prefer to think in terms of numbers and probabilities!). The test will be repeated at my appointment next week, but until then I will have to live in a probabilistic limbo. And will likely overanalyze any random contractions that come along, which after all, are perfectly normal for the third trimester of a second pregnancy.

No comments: