So! Back at home, just me and the kiddo, waiting around to have this baby already. There are endless strange moments and challenges through the day. These mostly relate to the fact that I am a confirmed neat freak, the product of two neat freak parents. So when my son spills a bowl of cheerios all over the floor, I have an instinctive and urgent drive to tidy them up immediately. However I am definitely not able to pick things up off the floor or to sweep or anything along those lines right now. When it happened today it took all my mental energy to resist the compulsion to clean. All day long those cheerios were bugging me, but I sat on my hands and resisted temptation. Heroically. Ditto the toys thrown in the bathtub. I thought my brain just might explode before Tim got home to deal with these critical situations, but I managed to survive it.
(Of course this kind of thing happened while I was still at mom's, but it is FAR FAR more crazy-making when it happens in my own house.)
4 comments:
Chrissy, I laughed right out loud when I read this post! (Sorry for the neat genes!)
Christine, I'm hoping you're able to make use of all those mindfulness skills for the next few weeks--or the internal stress of restraint may be worse for you than cleaning up the Cheerios. Call if you need coaching. I'm seldom far from my cell phone and I'd love to chat:) Ronda
I think the neat genes stem further back... I think most of us cousins have it! I am always cleaning up every little mess as it happens, so that the house is pretty much always clean. I think it's fine most of the time, but sometimes I wish I'd be easier on myself so that I could, say, rest for 5 minutes!
Dawn
This is just the beginning of "messiness!" Think of 2 kids at the dinner table...or goodness 3 kids- when we are no longer man to man but playing the zone- we will long for the days when it's only Cheerios on the floor! I am glad though that you are home now & that you had a good test result. Who knows, maybe baby Munn & Helen will be born on the same day! :) I am 36 weeks with contractions all the time too (although not like your's I am sure)... monica, your old clean freak neighbor
Post a Comment