Thankfully I passed the miserable 3 hour GTT this morning (meaning I don't have gestational diabetes)- I just can't imagine anyone with McFall blood in her going on a low sugar/low carb diet. I am my grandpa's child (his nickname is "cellophane," can you guess why?). I wouldn't wish that test on my worst enemy, it involves chugging a sickly sweet drink on an empty stomach and 4 blood draws over the course of 3 hours. In between visits to the phlebotomist I was in a crowded surgery waiting room hogging a couch to myself- sometimes people had to sit on the floor and I felt kind of terrible, but what could I do? Obviously I was offering an explanation every time someone new came in so that I wouldn't seem completely without social awareness.
Today I am 30 weeks which is the first milestone the doctors wanted us to reach. We are very thankful to have gotten this far as the risks of premature birth are significantly lessened relative to where we were even a week and a half ago. The next two milestones are 32 and 34 weeks. Anything after 34 weeks is bonus as the baby would likely not need NICU time. Basically, we are praying for a September birthday for our little girl. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have to leave the hospital without bringing my newborn daughter with me!
Tim and I had originally planned to keep her name a secret until she was born, but all of these complications have changed our minds. We want everyone to know who they are praying for! Her name is Helen Faith, after her late great-grandmother and her grandmother (my dad's mom, and Tim's mom).
3 comments:
Oh Chrissy, you poor thing! I can just picture you in the waiting room, trying to explain why you needed the whole couch! I'm so glad the test went well, though, and that you don't have to give up cookies! :) I hated that test every time -- I would have thought they might have been able to come up with a better method by now!! :O
I love the title-How clever! We are praying for you and little Helen, and that you have many days to fill in this blog before she is born.
If you are looking for more books, I recommend "Water for Elephants"; it is a great read!
Love, Laura B. in Prior Lake
I'm glad to hear that you passed your test! It would have been awful to be put on a diet that doesn't allow rice krispy bars. I'll be praying for a September birth (Grandma Pat would love to share her birthday month I'll bet!).
love
Ginger
Post a Comment