Saturday, September 13, 2008

Work (36 weeks, 1 day)

Sorry for the sporadic posts lately; we switched ISPs and there has been more than one snag with that process.

So, yesterday I found out I didn't get the work-from-home gig I was hoping for. Someone stop me from applying for these things for which I am ridiculously overqualified (this one was advertised as "graduate student TA wanted"). I'm stuck in the middle here, my resume reads like someone who wants a full time tenure track professorship, but I apply for part time consulting/teaching jobs, and I tend to get back the skinny envelopes. I'm still not sure if it's better to disclose the whole mommy thing as I'm applying- does it make my interest in such work more credible? or does it actually hurt my image as a professional? I wish there was more precedent for moms having real, meaningful part time work, where you can use your brain and your training in a serious way. I mean, yes, some of my time I like to do play doh and itsy bitsy spider and bake cookies and go to the park. I really do love that stuff. But sometimes I also like to do latent variable modeling and talk about the dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia, and I spent a good long time learning how to do it, and I don't want that to go for nothing! And the fact that I like the former really has no bearing on how well I do the latter, or how seriously I take it.

I suppose it doesn't help that I live in Lansing, which economically speaking is like the toejam on the smelly foot that is Michigan's job market.

Oh yes, and I am still pregnant. 36 week midwife appt was Thursday, all is well, we're expecting me to basically go to term at this point. Pray for a small baby please! (for those of you keeping score: at 3 days before due date George was 9 lbs 10 oz, head 15 3/4 inches which is 99.9th percentile, and I had to push for 4+ hours, would rather not repeat!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer to hear about not getting the part-time job... I may not be in the professional world, but I think it is hard for mom's who want to work part-time... it's hard to be taken seriously or hard to not over commit. Life (with a sigh included). Glad to hear that you and baby Helen are good- sorry about the contractions though. Mine get as close as 7-8 mins apart and that's annoying to me. And was George really that big? I forgot he was. They are saying this one is 8 1/2 lbs as of Friday... so I am expecting a 9lber... maybe you won't have 4 hours of pushing this time though. You are in a category of super woman to me... I thought 3 pushes was plenty let alone 4 hours! monica

Cancro Family said...

Wow...Christine...I did not realize George was that big. Ava wasn't that big and they told me I had to have a c-section. Maybe I didn't have to afterall.

Anyway, if you ever want a job, come out to Billings. Pyschiatrist and Psychologists are SO SO SO needed here. I'm sure you'd could get a part-time gig if you wanted. They'd be happy to get anything. Plus, you'd be near me. :)