Monday, September 29, 2008

Because I am a bit of a numbers geek... (38 weeks, 3 days)

Before you read, do remember that I have a minor in statistics and quantitative methods in my doctorate...

I calculated an algorithm today which gives the probability of delivering on any given day around my due date. It is based on a known distribution of birthdates around the due date- including predictive variables like how many babies you have had before, ethnicity, etc. This gives me percentage estimates of delivering on any particular day. So for example, I have a 2.2% absolute chance of delivering today (or cumulative chance of 24.4% of delivering up to and including today). I made pretty graphs and everything. My cumulative chance of delivering exceeds 50% on October 7 which is unsurprising given that George was also 3 days early.

Cool, huh??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, I do hope that you print out your graphs and put them in Helen's baby book!

Anonymous said...

Cool beans! :) I'm glad you've found something fun to do to occupy some of your extra time while you're waiting for Helen to arrive! :)

Anonymous said...

Obviously there's a flaw in your calculation because she will be born on October 4th, remember?! :)