Friday, September 5, 2008

Vocabulary (35 weeks)

George has really picked up a lot of words in the last few weeks- 90% of them animal sounds. He puzzles us from time to time wanting to know what a giraffe says, or a goldfish, or a bunny (so far a bunny says hop-hop, and we are working on the first two!). Favorites are baaa for lamb, ssss for snake, woof woof for dog- shared that last one with us several times during prayer at bible study the other night when a dog kept barking outside. One that is more unusual is that apparently a jeep says "uh-oh," I guess the boy has some opinions about Chrysler. Sorry to my sister and brother in law who are big jeep fans. (actually this line comes from the immortal piece of literature "Sheep in a Jeep").

I have had TONS of contractions today, as close together as 3 mins. But they never get organized or go anywhere so it is more annoying than anything. Especially since as of today my midwife wouldn't stop labor, so a part of me starts thinking hey, maybe the baby will come! And then the contrax peter out for a bit. Tim and I have a system like Homeland Security where I will tell him we're on yellow alert, or orange alert whenever I'm having possible indications of labor. We went up and down that alert system today! He stayed at work but I wonder how much he got done because I think he was feeling a little distracted...

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

I loved this post! It made me think of my dad telling my nieces that a zebra says "ZEEEE." Can't wait to hear about Helen's arrival! Keep the posts coming!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chrissy,

That brings back memories with Esme learning all the animal sounds. So precious. I think that for giraffe we said something like 'munch munch" (for leaves) and for goldfish we puckered our lips. It's not so much a sound, but it was a way for her to communicate what she saw. We also did sign language and she learned about 30 signs!

Dawn

Anonymous said...

We saw your mom at mom & dad's last night and heard about all of the excitement - any news today??

Anonymous said...

So sweet!! :) I always love hearing kids when they're learning their animal sounds! :)

I love the part about the Jeep! What a hoot! :)