Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Not exactly about Sarah Palin (34 weeks, 5 days)

Lots of people have been asking about work lately- especially did I get my license? and am I going back to work after Helen comes?

To the first question the answer is happily yes. I managed to squeak out my 2000 hours in the two year time frame granted to me by the great state of Michigan. Bedrest almost caused a rather serious difficulty but things were worked out. Hopefully the magic piece of paper will be coming my way soon, the piece of paper that is the LAST thing I have to do/earn after 9 years of school, 2 years of postdoc, licensing exam, etc.

The second question I can't really answer yet. For me this is always the biggest struggle and the thing that keeps me up at night, how to keep work and family afloat. When George came I went to a halftime clinical position that was partially at home, and he went to a great daycare. Can't do the same thing this time around- the daycare is too $$ for two- and don't have to- since I am fully licensed I don't have to keep up 20 hours of clinical work if I don't want to. I have accumulated little bits of jobs, consulting and other WAH, but they aren't enough to substitute. In fact I am in the process of getting yet another one of these little sidelines. All of that is very well, it brings in money, the hours are nice and flexible, but a mishmash of assorted sidelines does not exactly make a nice logical arc on a resume. I get caught between other people's expectations of me doing something Big and Fancy like a tenure track professorship, which I am not going to do owing to quality of life concerns and wanting to be at home with kids to a significant extent while they are young, and then being overqualified for things I really might enjoy for the time being like teaching night classes at a community college. Sigh. Maybe this will be easier when we no longer live in the state with the nation's worst economy.

So the dream is to do meaningful work on a reduced schedule while the kiddos are little, hopefully leading in some semi-logical way to a larger career at some point in the future (hopefully involving my beloved "crazy guys!" I heart schizophrenics.). I have a big feminist soapbox about this which I will not get on at this moment- plenty of you have heard it from me before, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Christine...you will start to, eventually, not worry about everyone's big and fancy plans for your life and settle into something that makes you feel happy and fulfilled - whether it's a tenure position or a community college post. It will come to you. Try not to worry. Just know that what ever you decide, you will be awesome at it. Hugs to you, mama.

Anonymous said...

So I am intrigued by this feminist soapbox- does it have to do with "hearting" something or "crazy guys?" The former I can conjure up some fun feminist soapbox- to the latter I am quite baffled... :) You know if you have some spare time with a toddler (which basically doesn't exist outside of bed time) maybe you can fill me in!

mo - your prego friend who as well is looking forward to seeing her feet again & not having a massive belly that she tends to bump into everything else with!