One of the endearing traits of toddlers is their complete lack of self-consciousness. They'll tell you exactly how it is, exactly what they want and don't want, no holds barred. They've yet to develop that little filter of socialization, where you learn to hold back or mask what you might really be thinking or feeling. I guess there are a couple of reasons for the filter- sometimes you are trying to cover up or resist some kind of sinful urge (in which case filtering is good!), and sometimes even if what you want isn't actually wrong you are afraid that you might seem weird or socially unacceptable (in which case filtering is kind of dubious).
Kind of like how I will usually say "oh, just a small piece of cake, please" but I often truly want a big piece. Okay, there might be some sinful gluttony behind the desire, and there is also a wanting to fit in because it's not socially acceptable for women to want big desserts, we are supposed to be dieting and counting calories, which truthfully I never do but sometimes want the appearance of doing it. But in heaven, I won't have any sinful urges for more chocolate cake than I should have, and I can't imagine I would need to hide my cake-loving self for any need of social conformity or approval. I guess that's why I find that toddler un-self-consciousness so refreshing. I'm looking forward to being more like that.
1 comment:
You know what, you're a full-time mom with two great kids and doing a great job. I say you get to have your cake and eat it too. No matter what size the slice is!
Post a Comment