Tuesday, December 2, 2008

About work

I realized that I kind of left you hanging on the question of work... in fact I was offered the teaching position I interviewed for just days before miss Helen arrived. Unfortunately the schedule of the class I was offered was not a very good fit for me and I turned it down. In the end I am going to do something quite similar to what I did before, which is some part time work with PAR- my clinical job- and my consulting work on the side. I have been doing the consulting work as I am able, all along, and I actually started back with PAR last week, doing about 4-6 hours per week. In January I will step it up to 16-18, and one of our babysitters is going to nanny for us two half days a week. Tim does some, and the rest is work from home.

It feels okay but not ideal. To my surprise I found I quite liked being at home with George full time during the whole bedrest thing. I wish I could work a bit less but it's not an option just now. Actually I doubt that I would ever find a solution that feels "right" because I have a grass is always greener thing going on. When I leave the kids to go to work I feel kind of sad, then I enjoy actually being at work (I have a great, interesting, rewarding job), then I come home and have all the dishes and laundry piled up and it's a downer again. Actually the being-too-busy part is the hardest aspect of it, not so much the being-away-from-kids part as I don't work that many hours out of the home. I feel like I can't be as fully present with the kids as I want when I am home, because I have all the housework and the work from PAR that I do at home to take care of.

Note to self: next house must have (1) dishwasher and (2) first floor laundry.

Postscript: I really need to rename this blog! Although as a nursing mama I do still spend a fair amount of each day on the couch. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about "Now I'm on the Fence" since you are torn about staying home and working. Or, Sofa Sogood (to stay with the couch theme). I'll let you know if I have more brilliant ideas. ;)

Cancro Family said...

How about "supermom"? Sounds like you're doing great even though it's hard.

Monica said...

christine - this is chris - how about 'christine on the go'? just a thought. enjoy reading your blog. we miss you guys!