I was asked recently whether I would start up a blog- my first reaction was how unbelievably boring, a blog about bedrest. But since then I have realized it is an awfully efficient way to get updates out there, so I'll give it a go.
Here's the story so far...
Tuesday July 22: I was visiting my mom in Madison WI while Tim was at a conference in France. I went into preterm labor (at 28 weeks) and was admitted to the hospital. I was given steroid shots to mature baby's lungs and nifedipine to stop contractions, which happily worked. However, the doctors deliver the bad news that I am to be on bedrest until I deliver, and I am not allowed to travel back to Lansing for the duration of the pregnancy. !!! We scramble to organize details around my work, Tim's work, health insurance, and care for George who is with me. I'm discharged from the hospital a few days later, and the real fun begins.
We're hoping to postpone delivery until September, when I will be 34 weeks. Of course every day the little girl stays in is a good day. So far all has gone well since I've been discharged from the hospital. Tim will be visiting for a long weekend every other weekend. We have lots of family and friends lined up to help watch George while I'm hanging out on the couch. I've got my laptop, some library books, and DVDs within arm's reach. So far I have adjusted surprisingly well to being on bedrest; it helps a lot to have so much company. The one thing I am really missing is cooking. The repressed urge is going to come out in a huge cooking frenzy as soon as this little girl is born, I think.
Current issues: A couple of things came up at my doctor appointment yesterday. Over the last few weeks I have lost a bit of weight rather than gaining, so I need to try to eat more. Also, I had my glucose challenge test yesterday (a test for gestational diabetes), and just heard this morning that I didn't pass. I have the 3 hour glucose tolerance test tomorrow; if I don't pass that one then I will have to go on a low carb diet and possibily monitor blood sugar levels. The nurse who called today told me it can generally be managed with diet and exercise. I gently reminded her that I am on bedrest which presents certain challenges vis-a-vis the latter half of that plan.
7 comments:
I'm so glad that you started a blog so that we are always updated!
Yay! I like this idea of a blog!!! Im so glad that your little girl has waited! If you or Tim need any help with George please let me know!!!
-Brytt
You just never know what you'll do when the right circumstances present...:) I'll be watching for updates and thinking of you!
Hi Chrissy! We like your blog...we're praying for all you guys and Miss Helen. :) Can't wait to see you on Sunday!
Hi Chrissy,
I see that you still have your sense of humor (the whole couch thing - hehe)! Thanks for starting this blog - I'll be sure to check it daily. I hope your test turns out good today. You're all in my prayers. :)
Ginger
Hey Chrissy! We are praying for you guys -- and we're looking forward to spending some time with you next week! :)
Love ya!
Glad you joined the blogging frenzy Christine! I bet you'll have plenty of interesting things to say even from a couch. And I would say eat some cookies & ice cream while you veg out on the couch but I suppose that would be an unwise encouragement if you have gestational diabetes... bummer!
monica
Post a Comment