Tuesday, October 25, 2011

this is why I could never live in the other Manhattan

Just a few miles behind our house is a large area of prairie that is a sort of nature preserve/ecology research tract. All the new KSU faculty and their families were invited on a special tour of the Konza Prairie to see it and especially the herds of bison that live there.



You think Kansas and you think flat- but not the part where we live, in the Flint Hills.


It's incredibly lovely. I'm tempted to go on and on about it but I don't want the whole world wanting to move over here. So you are welcome to your big cities and fabulous snooty restaurants and cultural events which I go to bed too early to attend anyway. I'm thrilled to live up on a hill in a neighborhood with trees everywhere and a jaw dropping view for miles and miles over the city and even beyond it.

4 comments:

The Goodfellas said...

i remember how much you couldn't picture yourself living there & i'm so happy that you love it!!! the place looks gorgeous. oh my.

Melissa said...

O give me a home, where the buffalo roam...

david said...

Any horses nearby? The kiddos need to learn to ride!!

Glen said...

Dear Mr and Mrs Ingalls,

The wagon train bringing your winter supplies got attacked by Indians and was a total loss. You will have to live on Buffalo till spring when the next supply wagon comes!!